RAI, and How it Killed Me

About two years later, after my fun with medication, my endocrinologist told me that my thyroid wasn’t getting any less hyper. So, without looking it up for myself, she told me that if a hyper thyroid doesn’t take to medication, a more severe approach is taken. In my case, she recommended I get radioactive iodine treatment, or RAI for short. Thinking she was the endo and knew what she was doing, I agreed. So we scheduled it.

The appointment was about 8 months later. I went in with my girlfriend at the time, and she sat with me while I got the tiny pill. She had to leave for work as I sat and waited for them to release me but I remember afterwards, getting onto a bus and making the two babies on there cry. I ended up getting off the bus and walking home (which, luckily it was summer at the time, or else it would have been a COLD walk home… damn Canada), which took a good hour. I wasn’t allowed to go to work for a week while it took its course, so I sat around, watching cartoons.

Flash forward to three months later and my endo tells me it didn’t work. That I had to go in again and get it done again. At this moment in time, I thought to myself that I felt really healthy, so why did I need this? In retrospect, I wish I would have voiced that because RAI was possibly the worst thing I’ve had to deal with in my life. Well, not the pill itself but the aftereffects of the second dose. But I’ll get into that in the next post.

The day I went in for my second dose of RAI was actually the first time I had ever heard of Graves’ Disease… Weird, right? The gentleman administering the RAI had said “So you know why you’re here, right? We are administering radioactive iodine to help with your Graves’ Disease.” I had said yes but inside, I was thinking “GRAVES DISEASE??? WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?!” My mom had picked me up to take me home to my parents’ house for the week (because it was a much larger dose this time and they live in the country) and I had told her what the gentleman said. I guess my endocrinologist had put on my file that I have Graves’ but never actually told me (and to this day, still hasn’t). I ended up googling it as she drove because it was the first time she had heard of it as well. What I found in the Google search wasn’t much in the way of symptoms, but what I did find started to make sense with everything I had been feeling physically and mentally.

And then, two days later, the RAI hit me and I crashed. But I’ll talk about that in the next post.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s